High Fidelity FE Dummy Models for CAE Vehicle Safety Analysis
In 2017, by contractual agreement with ATD-MODELS GmbH, CDH AG acquired the rights to market, distribute and support ATD dummies and finite element (FE) impactor models in North America and Japan. ATD-MODELS GmbH is a specialist in the development of high-quality FE models for vehicle safety analysis. The company was founded in 2009 by experts with years of experience in dummy development and occupant-safety simulation. ATD-MODELS GmbH develops highly accurate FE models in close cooperation with the German and other world-wide automobile industry partners. ATD FE models are used in the virtual development process for occupant and pedestrian protection engineering calculations.
ATD MODEL of the FlexiblePedestrian Leg Impactor (fPLI)
The Flex-PLI (Flexible Pedestrian Legform Impactor) is used in the field of pedestrian protection and represents a 50th percentile male leg which is struck from the right side. It includes replicas of the thigh, knee and lower leg.
The ATD-fPLI is the simulation model of the Flex-PLI from the ATD-MODELS GmbH and was derived from the ATD-aPLI. This allows experiences with the ATD-aPLI or the ATD-fPLI in structural principles, numbering and handling to be used directly in the other model.
Some characteristics of the ATD-fPLI are:
- Easy introduction to handling thanks to the familiar model structure analogous to ATD-aPLI model
- Understanding of the structure due to realistic representation of the geometries
- Excellent correlation to hardware certification tests and additional sophisticated component tests
ATD Models Features:
- High accuracy owing to physics-based modeling techniques and validation to test hardware results
- FE models available for industry standard explicit FE codes ABAQUS*, LS-DYNA* and PAM-CRASH*
- Commonality of modeling standards for all dummy models
- Uniform discretization, nomenclature and numbering systems
- Same scripts for pre and post processing
- Same session file and application procedures
- Full utilization of code-specific features of each solver
Advantages to Users:
- Systematic title nomenclature refers to the assembly groups
- Prefix in each title description allows a fast adjustment to the nomenclature of the load case
- Numeration not overlapping the assembly groups
- Advantage in pre and post processing
- Allows selection of assembly parts and groups
- Each assembly group close defined for itself
- Definition regarding the master, e.g. contacts relate to the assembly group
* The trade names are the property of the owning companies.